The value of automated processes in Digital Transformation
Digital transformation has been a topic of discussion for some time and it’s driving business into a new era. More businesses are adopting digital transformation strategies and have seen improvements in key areas of the business, like customer engagement and employee efficiency.
As per the 2019 Gartner CIO report, Digital initiatives are top of mind when driving organisational growth. Companies that have not gone down the path of digital transformation are behind the curve. There is still time to catch up! The journey can start with some quick wins.
First, let’s take a look at what digital transformation helps businesses achieve:
- Tailor Customer Experience and ensure the customer engagement is consistent on all platforms – call centre, website, app, pre-sales, post-sales etc. The customer needs a consistent experience. To do this, you need two things:
- Standardised (and optimised) business processes, break down internal silos and ensure all processes are focused on customer service.
- A 360 view of the customer with the ability to pull a complete customer history at any given time on any platform.
- Empower Employees to do their jobs, progress their careers and better interact with customers. By removing the admin-overhead, employees can get more done. This will make them happier which in turn, gives them the capability of being customer focused. It is also now widely accepted that happy employees are much more productive and creative, which can drive business performance.
- Optimise Business Processes to break down silos and reduce the waste caused by traditional means of doing business. I have seen traditional business processes being cut down by as much as 40% by introducing simple concepts such as digital forms and automated validation.
- Extend or Transform New Business Models – once customer needs, business processes, and employee capabilities are aligned, the business can focus on finding new channels to serve customers or extend existing services instead of being dragged down by inefficient business practices.
To answer the question “where can businesses start?” it’s simple. Start by automating business processes. Inefficient interactions between people and departments cause waste in the organisation… this it is a prime focus area. By reducing waste, a business can achieve big wins in a very short space of time:
- Reduce manual checking (and rechecking) of basic information.
- Reduce time needed to deliver a service to a customer or consumer e.g. the time it takes to respond to and resolve a customer query.
- Increase governance and compliance by enforcing business rules and automating validation.
- Increase visibility to process performance to identify bottlenecks.
The theory behind process automation is based on two key ideas.
Firstly, an organisation needs to free up its resources (people) to drive the transformation agenda. So many tools exist and it does not make to outsource the entire transformation journey. Building skills internally will further enforce a culture of creativity and productivity and will be substantially more cost-effective than outsourcing.
Secondly, any process that is not automated means nothing in the evolution of the organisation. If processes are done over email, in documents and spreadsheets, how is the process managed? What is done with the data? How can the business improve the process? Manual processes are a black hole and they prevent the organisation evolving.
The digital transformation agenda has a few core concepts that need consideration to ensure a successful initiative. In the coming weeks, I hope to share some of these ideas with you to understand how to operationalise the strategy, what to look out for and how the initiative can benefit stakeholders at all levels.
Why and how to go digital with Nintex and ABM Systems
Every business needs an efficient workflow system.
Join ABM Systems and Nintex at Microsoft Sydney CBD for this breakfast meeting to better understand how workflow automation can save you time and money.
Nintex is the global standard for process management and automation. More than 8,000 customers across 90 countries rely on the Nintex platform to quickly and easily manage, automate, and optimise their business processes. You can accelerate business results and improve how people work by digitally transforming everyday processes up to the most sophisticated ones.
Date: Monday 18 February 2019
8:00 – Registration
8:30 – Introduction
ABM Systems Digital Service Solutions
8:45 – Digital Transformation, more than a buzz word
Why we need to be talking about your Digital Transformation
9:00 – Process Automation in the Digital Era
Why and how to automate process in your organisation
9:30 – Nintex as a Digital Transformation Technology Partner
Why Nintex is the right technology partner
10:00 – Q&A
Microsoft Sydney, MPR Room
Level 15, No. 1 Martin Place, Sydney